March is Workplace Eye Wellness Month
Every year, nearly 25,000 Americans visit the emergency room due to a workplace eye injury. During Workplace Eye Wellness Month this March, the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) reminds employers and workers about the importance of wearing certified and approved eye protection.
As more people of all ages increase the amount of screen time, with the use of computers, tablets, smartphones, etc., the risk of digital eye strain also increases.
Did you know?
- Almost 2,000 people in the US injure their eyes at work.
- 10-20% of the total amount of work related injuries will cause permanent vision loss.
- Three out of five workplace eye injuries are due to not wearing appropriate eye protection.
Oregon Eye Specialists urges everyone to protect their vision in the workplace to keep eyes healthy.
You can reduce your risk of a workplace eye related injury with the following suggestions:
- Keep the computer roughly 30 inches away from your eyes.
- Rest your eyes every 15 minutes.
- Remember to blink frequently.
- Wear protective glasses or computer glasses.
- Schedule regular comprehensive eye exams.